Articles about our program:
Ponderosa High School is designed for students 15 and older (and in 10th grade) seeking education and employment training in “green” careers while earning credits toward high school graduation.
- Knowledge about environmental issues and solutions
- Employment skills training and internships in growing green careers to increase employability
- Instruction in written and spoken communication, presentations, and leadership skills to encourage participation in local community decisions
- Education in local ecology, local history, local economics as well as other high school graduation requirements
Ponderosa High School students are enrolled in both Alternative Education and ROP. In addition to taking high school graduation requirements, students will participate in ROP classes, where they will learn:
- Monterey Bay ecology and watershed education
- Green construction methods and materials
- Computer applications and CAD
- Green Energy technologies
- Organic gardening, sustainable agriculture and marketing practices
- Green career information and assistance with enrollment in post secondary programs
In addition to their work in the classroom, students will listen to guest speakers, be taken on field trips, be involved in community service projects, and participate in short and long-term internships in green businesses and agencies.
Career education and work experience are important parts of the program. Students will develop an employment portfolio including documentation of their internships and field placements, resume and letters of recommendation.
Students will also be taught public speaking skills, computer skills and leadership skills to allow them to better participate in local conservation efforts.
Schedule: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 9:10-2:10, Wednesday: 9:10-12:00, Friday: 9:10-1:10
For more information, contact Santa Cruz County Office of Education, Alternative Education Programs, at 466-5728
In Alternative Education, we become more…
Literate – Knowledgable, life-long learners.
Ethical – Kind to ourselves, others, and the world.
Empowered – Prepared to create our futures.
Ponderosa High School and Career Training Center
Phone: (831) 336-9338
Address: 305 Marion Avenue, Ben Lomond, CA 95005
Also visit the Alternative Education Programs Career Center.