Applications for the “Be a Teacher” program are currently not being accepted. Please check back in Fall 2019 to see if the program will be offered again.
What is the “Be a Teacher” Program?
The intern program offers Preliminary Credential preparation for an Education Specialist Credential: Mild/Moderate. The state approved courses and individualized support successfully prepares teachers for the realities of daily classroom teaching.
What are the benefits of an Intern Program?
- Teach while you learn
- Receive personalized trained coaching and guidance
- Collaborate with a community of cohort teachers
- Participate in job-embedded professional development
- Experience individualized consultation and credential advisement
- Meet state requirements for your Preliminary Teaching Credential
- Obtain program materials and valuable resources
“Be a Teacher” Overview
- Preservice Framework Course: 10 units (150 hours)
Semester from January-May 2018
- Year 1: 15 units
September 2018 – June 2019
- Year 2: 15 units
September 2019 – June 2020
Courses taught at the Santa Cruz COE Tuesday and Thursday Evenings 5-8pm
Overview of Cost:
Preservice Framework Course: $3,000
Year 1: $3,500
Year 2: $3,500
Contact Scott Mean-Hill at the SCCOE Human Resources office for further information: (831)466-5755
“Be A Teacher” The Perfect Opportunity For…
- Second-career re-entry professionals
- Paraprofessionals (substitutes, instructional aides, tutors, and volunteers)
- Recent College Graduates
- Candidates looking for alternative pathways for teacher preparation
How do I apply to the “Be A Teacher “ Intern Program?
- Obtain an application here. (PDF)
- Pick up an application from our office at:
400 Encinal Street, Santa Cruz 95060
Application Deadline is October 27, 2017
“Be a Teacher” Frequently Asked Questions. (PDF)