One of the ways that the Santa Cruz County Office of Education celebrates the accomplishments of teachers, classified employees and administrators is by sponsoring an annual Outstanding Educator Recognition Program. Awards are given in the following categories:
- Administrator of the Year
- Classified Employee of the Year
- Teacher of the Year
- Counselor of the Year
Nominations take place early in the calendar year, with a selection made in March. Recipients of each award will be celebrated at the April Board Meeting, in addition to receiving a plaque from County Superintendent Michael Watkins.
Selection Process: Santa Cruz County school employees (teachers, administrators, and support staff) may nominate classifed employees, teachers, and/or administrators. A selection committee will evaluate applications based upon an established criteria.
Districts with their own educator award program may choose to submit their awardees as candidates for this countywide recognition. Countywide recipients in the categories of Classified Employee of the Year and Teacher of the Year are eligible to compete at the state level.
Eligibility Requirements for Nominees: Candidates must be a contracted employee for an educational organization within Santa Cruz County for the year in which they are nominated.
Additionally, the candidate should possess and demonstrate qualities such as:
- The ability to create a passion for learning in students of all abilities and backgrounds.
- High expectations for all students.
- A strong sense of values, integrity, and professional ethics.
- The ability to learn and experiment with new ideas in order to expand his or her professional knowledge base.
- Strong human relations/strong cooperative skills with students, parents, colleagues, administration, and the school community.
- Knowledge of subject and curriculum content, of studnet growth and development, of instruction and assessment.
- Clear understanding of his or her beliefs and practices.
- Strong communication skills.
- Energy, enthusiasm, a positive attitude and dependability.
- Commitment to community service.
Use specific examples whenever possible in describing the candidate’s contributions.